Vitalism isn't just a philosophy; it's a way of life. Living vitalistically means that you must consciously consider everything that you ingest, whether it's a food or a thought. Everything you put into your mind and body ... affects the body

Monday, August 30, 2010

Playing it forward

After a long week end helping a friend establish her garden, it suddenly dawned on me that I had paid a cosmic debt and played it forward. You see a few years ago I was in that same position. I had just built a new home. Moving on with my life with my girls was important and instead of renting long term I decided to put down some roots and establish a home.


The juggle was enormous, but so uplifting and rewarding. We finally were able to move in Yahoo!!! The house was ready, the walls needed to be painted but we were good to go.

However the garden was a sand pit. The thought of getting it looking presentable was daunting. But true to form some dear friends of mine came to the rescue. Armed with plants from their garden, by the looks of things their whole garden shed and food, they descended onto my garden.

The effect was nothing short of a miracle. We dug through the sand removing as much of the grass runners as we could, a trailer was soon filled. Plants were planted and organised. Eat your heart out backyard blitz.

They even came back and did it all again when my darling other half decide to surprise me and while I was away constructed my patio.

So now as stood in my friend’s garden, my hands tight and sore, the pain soon turned and eased. I had unknowingly played it forward. The garden complete with veggie patch looked wonderful. Her dogs looked a little put out, their backyard had changed overnight but they’ll get used to it. I can honestly say the feeling of accomplishment was replaced with a deep sense of gratitude that I had for my chance of making a difference.

Going home to our house later the next day and walking out to our veggie patch to gather Asian vegies for a stir fry, I know our friend will be doing the same in a few short months. And something tells me, she will be playing it forward too.

No comments:

Post a Comment