Vitalism isn't just a philosophy; it's a way of life. Living vitalistically means that you must consciously consider everything that you ingest, whether it's a food or a thought. Everything you put into your mind and body ... affects the body

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Blessings come in all shapes and sizes.



Back when I was an Associate Chiropractor I had the chance to see as a patient a retired service man. He presented to our office wanting care but unable to pay. I was asked if I was willing to take him on as a patient under these circumstances. I can say after all these years while I wasn’t rewarded financially I was more than adequately remunerated.

Never was visit to the office passed without him bringing a kind word, a small bunch of flowers, strawberries when in season or a fantastic joke. When he missed a visit due to various reasons he would always send a letter in to explain his absence. What a difference manners make.

But it was to be his death that he bestowed his greatest blessing for me. Never one very comfortable with death and dying, I went to many funerals were I just hid amongst the crowd. Well that was not to be at this funeral. His family invited me as was his request to attend the service. His wife had notified me of his passing and she conveyed her warmest thanks for all my help. Of which I thought was nothing really, I love what I do and it was the least I could do for someone who had defended his country with his life.

As I walked into the funeral parlour I was struck with the awkward sense that I was in the wrong place. There didn’t seem to be anyone here. I first thought I was too early. I went out and checked the notices, no I was on time. Then a young man, who could only have been his son, the resemblance was striking came and walked me back in.

That day I attended the funeral of a wonderful soul, as one of four people to bear witness to his life. I can only say the solace that he brought me was one of the greatest gifts I am yet to receive. And as I wipe the tear off my face while writing this, I know that blessings come in all shapes and sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment